Now, I know around the holidays, everybody starts to freak out and get all stressed about what to buy people. The only thing is their bank account has a balance of about -$5.00 and they have a list of people to buy things for. Well, don’t fear! Pinterest always has your back and is there for all your broke needs, whether it’s a birthday gift or a Christmas gift. You don’t need to spend hundreds of dollars on gifts for people; a DIY gift is always an option and it’s something that will show someone you tried. Happy Pinteresting!
DIY Popsocket (diyprojectsforteens)
- Cut off the top (about one inch down from the end of the cap just straight across) of a plastic water bottle with scissors
- Trace the open side of the bottle top on a design you want to use for your popsocket and cut it out
- Use a hot glue gun to add glue to the open side of the bottle top
- Take the design you cut out and place it on the open side of the bottle top with the glue
- Glue the cap side of the bottle top to the phone case of your choice
- I would rate this DIY a 6/10 because it is a really easy, simple and creative way to make your own popsocket without buying one, but it isn’t as neat looking as a regular popsocket. The biggest downside of this though, is that in order to attach it to your phone case, you have to glue it on. It would be a great gift for a friend, but I wouldn’t recommend this be the only gift. It has a lot of thought put into it, but it wouldn’t be my first choice for a gift to give.
DIY Snowman Ornament (beyondtheinsporation)
- Buy a clear plastic sphere ornament and fill it with fake snow
- Use a funnel to insert the fake snow to make it easier to get in
- Take any ribbon you like and cut it to the length you want and put it through the ring where you hang your ornament from
- Take an old fuzzy sock and cut it at the heel and use tube portion of it
- Put the sock over the ornament, leaving room for a face, and hot glue it down so it doesn’t slip off
- Draw the face of the snowman on the ornament with a sharpie or paint
- I would rate this DIY an 8/10 because I think this is so cute and adorable, yet so cheap. It is so creative and a very thoughtful gift for a parent or a friend. It’s something that looks like it took a long time, but it was super easy to make and turns out really nice. This is also something you can customize for the person you are making this for. If you’re making it for a guy or a dad, you could use a sports sock. I think this is a really good option for a super fun gift idea if you have a money limit.
Anti-Depression Kit (tumblr)
- Get a small ziplock bag and fill it with 1 penny, 1 eraser, 1 marble, 1 rubberband, 1 string and a hypothetical hug and kiss
- Then type up on a piece of paper the following:
- An Anti-Depression Kit
- *A PENNY so you will never say “I’m broke.”
- *An ERASER so you can make all your mistakes disappear.
- *A RUBBERBAND to stretch yourself beyond your limits.
- *A STRING to tie things together when everything falls apart.
- *A HUG and KISS to remind you that someone, somewhere cares about YOU!
- Now, this isn’t really a gift, but it’s more of a reminder. This is something that would be good for any occasion, even if it’s not a holiday. You can make this super easy and thoughtful package for a friend or someone you love if they’re stressed or sad about something so you can show them you care. It’s something small and simple, but has a lot of thought, meaning and love in it that I think could cheer a lot of people up if they’re feeling low.
Hannah Dyer, Online Editor